“Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.”
– Emily Buchwald
Week of October 8 to October 12, 2018
Dear Pre-K Families,
We continue to work with letter Ll and Oo this week. For the next five weeks the focus will be on the letters Mm, Ll, Oo, Xx, and Gg. We will work on identifying the letters, matching the uppercase to the lowercase of each letter, the sound(s) of each letter, and listening for the letter sound at the beginning of words. We are practicing isolating the initial sound by doing various activities with their names such as “If your name begins with the sound of /m/ please line up.” In the beginning I strongly stress the initial sound. I may say “B-oy, b-oy … what sound do you hear at the beginning of b-oy?” I also give them two words and ask if they begin with the same sound such as, “M-ouse, m-other … do they begin with the same sound?” These are phonological awareness activities which research has proven improve reading readiness. You can help them by playing these games with them in the car, at home, in the bathtub, etc. We are working on different sound/same sound. The children are out of practice with listening carefully for different sounds. Please practice at home to help them get up to speed.
We are also working on ordinal numbers 1st through 5th and numbers 1-10. Student should learn all numbers 1-15 at least by the end of the school year.
We are continuing to work on shapes and colors. We will learn what God made on the 7th day this week and we will do our best to get their books put together and sent home the week of October 18th.
Please do your best to help sell raffle tickets for the baskets for the Fall Festival after all masses this weekend and next. There was an email sent with a link to sign up to help. You do not need to be fingerprinted to help.
For planning purposes, please take note of the following important events coming up this month and the following months:
- Saturday, October 6th Protecting God’s Children Workshop at Blessed Trinity. You must sign up at Virtus.org first.
- Thursday, October 11th is Eagle t-shirt day!
- Saturday, October 20th is the Fall Festival from 3:00 to 8:00.
- Tuesday, November 20th is a school wide Thanksgiving Feast for the students only. The morning and afternoon classes will be combined to enjoy the feast.
- Thursday, December 13th will be our Pre-K Christmas Program at 10:00am. The morning class and afternoon class will combine for the program and a lunch together afterward.
Have a great week!
Sincerely in Christ,